With the Wi-Fi 6 standard is no different.
Before we go further discussing the Wi-fi 6, we should recapitulate briefly the previous standards that we know about, known as Wi-Fi networks:
- 802.11a – The 802.11a standard operates in the 5GHz frequency, with a theoretical capacity of 54 Mbps. Normally this standard is used in scenarios where there is the need for the trafficking of high amounts of information.
- 802.11b – The 802.11b standard operates in the frequency of 2.4GHz with a theoretical capacity of 11 Mbps. It is utilized more often on residential environments, however, there still exist certain sceneries where some Companies use it.
- 802.11g – The 802.11g standard operates in the frequency of 2.4GHz with a theoretical capacity of 54 Mbps. In a similar manner in comparison to 802.11b, the 802.11g standard also has regularly been used on residential environments, in other words, where there is no need for high speed on traffic of information; however, it is also possible to find this standard in Companies.
- 802.11n (also known as Wi-fi 4) – The 802.11n standard operates in the frequency of 2.4 GHz, being able to function also on 5 GHz and reaching rates of up to 600 Mbps.
- 802.11ac (also known as Wi-Fi 5) – The 802.11ac standard uses frequencies of 5 GHz. It is one of the most utilized standards currently. Besides getting an increase on the amplitude of the channels inside the band of 5 GHz.
Now that we have recapitulated the previous standards, let’s analyze the Wi-fi 6.
ARRIVAL OF WI-FI 6
The Wi-Fi 6 (also known as the 802.11ax standard) is the new pattern of transmission of data developed which also supports the frequency of 6 GHz and have the capacity of reaching transfer rates around 9.6Gbits/s.
Let’s open a “parentheses” here before we continue with our current theme, maybe, you have already heard more about the “Wi-Fi 6” and about the term “802.11ax” to be able to recognize the standard.
What is the reason for that, if both are about to the same technology?
The answer is simple and maybe you already know it. It is purposeful.
The Wi-Fi Alliance when presented the Wi-Fi 6 as the next generation of Wi-Fi, introduced a new approach of nomenclature so that the users could understand in an easier manner which type of Wi-fi technology is supported.
Considering this, the tendency now is manufacturers increasingly will consider it in their catalogs and manuals, the nomenclature “Wi-Fi” in order to correspond to the type of standard adopted. Example: In case a certain device, supporting 802.11ac in the technical documents might be within the nomenclature of “Wi-Fi 5” as supported.
Let’s agree, really, it is very easy and simple for us to declare that certain devices support Wi-Fi 6 than to speak that it supports 802.11ax.
Isn’t it true?
Furthermore, let’s go back to the topic itself; let us check some of the main benefits of the Wi-Fi 6:
BENEFITS OF THE WI-FI 6
Higher rate of transference – In accordance to the elevated increase of the demands for streaming services, Wi-Fi 6 has an average transference rate considerably higher to its forerunner (802.11ac).
Amount of connected devices – It is possible to have several devices connected to the same network, which make the implementation of an IoT based network possible, with quality and efficiency. With the Wi-Fi 6 it will be possible to support up to 8 different devices, operating in upload and download models.
Target Wake Time (TWT) Resource – Through this resource, it is also possible to extend the usage of the battery of the mobile devices. In the face of this overview, the resource will allow that the receiving of the sign on those devices might occur on several periods. Instead of being full-time, which will consequently create a diminishing in the consumption of the battery of the devices.
As we can observe above in a resumed way, the Wi-Fi 6 brings with itself important characteristics. However, there are some points for warning that Companies need to be aware.
Let’s check some of those points below:
CHANGES FOR THE WI-FI 6
Investments in the acquisition of new hardware – Because we are dealing with a new generation of Wi-Fi, it will not be possible to only update the existing equipment. By all means, it will involve considerable investments on the substitution of the technological assets already existent. Especially for guaranteeing the implementation of the version 6 of the Wi-Fi.
Time spent for the implementation – Obviously, because it deals with a sudden change in the infrastructure of Companies, it will be necessary to have a period of maintenance for the technology to be fully implemented. And this period will be measured since the planning, until the actual substitution of the equipment.
In other words, it won’t be something that your Company will implement quickly (saving a few exceptions).
It is fundamental that Companies, before acquiring equipment for the standard usage of the Wi-fi 6, do a planning about all the aspects adherent of their current network. As well as all the devices used.
Currently, there already exist equipment in Brazil with support for the Wi-Fi 6, however before purchasing them it will be necessary to have a whole check of the complete infrastructure existent. With the intention of being able to adapt the park for the adoption of the new technology.
The Wi-Fi 6 brings very important improvements. Mainly inside environments with IoT networks. Primordially, because there is a need of a higher interaction between the devices.
In this way, there is no doubts about the importance of investing on network management. Therefore, bringing not only benefits to the visibility of the network but also being a way to guarantee an agile and proactive IT Team.
Thinking of that, Telcomanager present in the market since 2002, and a leading Latin America brand in the sector of software for managing networks. Also counting with a unique and innovative technology, deploying smart solutions in the monitoring of data that will provide a stratified vision of the traffic, is now allowing your Company to follow the most important aspects of your network, in real time.